We work to build skills and to improve understanding of our sector's vital role in Safeguarding children and young people in West Sussex. With our statutory sector partners, we seek to develop a shared vocabulary so that everyone who supports children and young people has greater confidence in understanding their role in Safeguarding arrangements locally.
The West Sussex VCS Safeguarding Forum – with the changes at WSCVYS, the Forum is now looking to form itself as an independent project
Terms of Reference
- To ensure that VCS organisations/projects in West Sussex gain a clear understanding of the role of Safeguarding Practice and Safer Recruitment practices in their everyday working environment
- To both raise awareness as to the role of the VCS in terms of early intervention work and to campaign for sharing information in an appropriate and timely manner, whilst maintaining confidentiality.
- To advocate on behalf of the VCS sector members when accessing specialist support for children, young people and families
- To ensure that ALL staff in the VCS sector have an understanding of their individual role and responsibility in terms of helping to keep children and young people safe by safeguarding and promoting children and young people’s welfare
- To find out more about Safeguarding in the VCS and how the forum can support your work please contact Su Parrish
Child Protection Training for the voluntary community sector
Basic Safeguarding Training This training is designed for people from the voluntary sector who do not receive basic child protection training in-house.
For more information on how WSCVYS can run this training as part of our Workforce Development programme contact Hanna.
The Local Safeguarding Children’s Board
The multi-agency LSCB committee is responsible for establishing and maintaining policies and procedures about keeping children and young people safe in West Sussex. It is also responsible for co-ordinating agreed protocols to reduce the incidence of child abuse and neglect in the County. WSCVYS represents the voluntary sector on the LSCB – Hanna Moore is your representative and also supports Su Parrish, Chair of the Safeguarding Forum.
For further information on the LSCB visit their web site
Common Assessment Framework
CAF's are now Audited by the VCS for the VCS
As recommended by Ofsted last year, CAFs are now audited by senior representatives from relevant agencies on a regular basis to ensure they are being used effectively. I was asked by WSCVYS to take on the role of CAF Auditor for the VCS sector, which involves scrutinising several CAFs that have been completed by agencies in the sector, looking for examples of good practice to share, as well as areas for improvement. These are then moderated alongside all the other agencies' sample CAFs by the team as a whole. When relevant, we will be able to feed any learning back through the VCS Safeguarding Forum, as well as through the e-bulletin’.
Activities Manager – The Springboard Project